The conversations around self-care often feel like we are talking about pampering. However, it is much deeper and much more important than that. In fact we are all practicing self-care in one form or another everyday. When we feed ourselves, bathe, sleep or exercise, we are caring for ourselves. Often this caring for ourselves is carried out in an unconscious way. In yoga, meditation and mindfulness a lot of the work is inviting the unconscious into the conscious. Shedding this light on our
habits allows us to recognize where there is potential for greater benefit. Combining mindfulness and self-care in an effortless way brings about a revolutionary way to see how you care for yourself.
This is important work. As we care for ourselves we are setting ourselves up to be more powerful, peaceful, and active in serving others and making all lives better.
Begin by paying attention to a few key needs:
- Nourishment: What you are cooking? Is it nourishing?
- Hydration: What are you drinking? Is it enough?
- Sleep: Do you wake feeling rested?
- Hygiene: How do you take care of your body?
- Can you enjoy the full process of cooking? From picking the ingredients in the store to washing the pans after?
- Start your day with a glass of warm lemon water and finish it with calming tea. Adding 16 more ounces of liquid into your body a day!
- Go to bed earlier or sleep in later! Fall asleep and wake up slowly.
- Let the way you wash your body become a self massage. Close your eyes as you brush your teeth and fully experience the sensation of the bristles on your gums, don’t hurry.
- Once in awhile create something extra special or nutritious. Try fermenting veggies, a decadent dessert, or…
- Add 10 minutes of quiet sitting or meditation to that cup of lemon water.
- Take a nap during the day.
- Try dry brushing or body massage before bathing.
Think about creating rituals around what is important to you. Other needs may involve movement (yoga, dance, exercise), time to yourself, time with friends, touch from others, and mental stimulation. Sometimes take it all a step further, go ahead and pamper.